[Back to top]
San Mateo County Assessor-Clerk-Recorder-Elections
Shape the Future. Vote!

Official Election Site of San Mateo County

MARK CHURCH, Chief Elections Officer & Assessor-County Clerk-Recorder

First time Voters

If you registered by mail, you may have to show identification when you vote for the first time.


If you did not provide one of the required types of identification at the time you registered, and you are voting in a federal election (there are presidential or congressional candidates on the ballot), a Poll Worker will ask you to show one of the following:


  • driver's license or identification card of any state;
  • passport;
  • employee identification card;
  • identification card provided by a commercial establishment;
  • credit or debit card;
  • military identification card;
  • student identification card;
  • health club identification card;
  • insurance plan identification card; or
  • public housing identification card.

Any of the following documents, provided that the document includes the name and address of the individual presenting it, and is dated since the date of the last general election, unless the document is intended to be of a permanent nature such as a pardon or discharge or unless the date requirements of paragraph (F) apply, including:


  • utility bill;
  • bank statement;
  • government check;
  • government paycheck;
  • document issued by a governmental agency;
  • sample ballot or other official elections document issued by a governmental, agency dated for the election in which the individual is providing it as proof, of residency or identity;
  • voter notification card issued by a governmental agency;
  • public housing identification card issued by a governmental agency;
  • lease or rental statement or agreement issued by a governmental agency;
  • student identification card issued by a governmental agency;
  • tuition statement or bill issued by a governmental agency;
  • insurance plan card or drug discount card issued by a governmental agency;
  • discharge certificates, pardons, or other official documents issued to the individual by a governmental agency in connection with the resolution of a criminal case, indictment, sentence, or other matter;
  • public transportation authority senior citizen and disabled discount cards issued by a governmental agency;
  • identification documents issued by governmental disability agencies;
  • identification documents issued by government homeless shelters and other government temporary or transitional facilities;
  • drug prescription issued by a government doctor or other governmental health care provider;
  • property tax statement issued by a governmental agency;
  • vehicle registration issued by a governmental agency; or
  • vehicle certificate of ownership issued by a governmental agency.



Voter Registration
Candidates & Campaigns
Poll Workers
Contact Us

youtube video twitter



Registration & Elections Division
40 Tower Road, San Mateo, CA 94402
Phone: (650) 312-5222
Fax: (650) 312-5348
Email: registrar@smcare.org


Assistance for Voters with Disabilities:

Dial 711 For Telecommunications Relay Service
Phone: 1 (888) 762-8683
Language Assistance
Phone: 1 (888) 762-8683 or 1 (888) SMC-VOTE